Friday, April 4, 2008

We are not a start-up. No pets allowed.

I like animals. Especially cute, furry ones with big round eyes and sweet dispositions. I've never hurt an animal. It's one of the reasons why I'm a vegetarian.

However, I don't want to be around animals at certain times of the day. Let's say, between 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. on weekdays. To be more specific, let's say around 12:00 - 1:00 p.m.

One of the reporters we work with (on another team) decided to bring his dog into our office during an in-person meeting with a client. S'all fine and good, right?

Wrong.

The dog in question was being baby-(dog)sat by a few of the folks on that team and, okay, it's a Friday, but come on. We still have to work for our other clients. If you bring your dog to a restaurant, you don't expect the waitstaff to dogsit, do you? This is an office setting. If you decide to bring your dog with you to a meeting, why not keep it with you-

-where you can see it-

...and clean up after it when it vomits and pisses.

No joke, folks. The little bitch (I'm allowed- it's a female dog) threw up. In our kitchen. On the seat at the table. While a bunch of us were eating lunch.

That's abso-fucking-lutely unacceptable in my book. And I know the folks on that team thought I was being particularly prissy when I got up and moved my food to another table (muttering obscenitites all the way) but that's disgusting. I may not have grown up around dogs but I draw the line at eating my lunch two feet away from chunky dog vomit. And yes, I will complain- I reserve the fucking right to complain. Of all the places in the damn office you could take that dog, why choose to let it hang out in the kitchen where people are eating?

Considering that it pissed in the hallway outside the kitchen a few minutes later, I would think the folks dogsitting finally realized that maybe the dog was better off with its owner. I don't care if they thought I was being a horrible person by picking sullenly at my food (vomit+tofu, mushrooms, and brown rice=unappetizing); I was just wondering when the light bulb would finally turn on over their heads and they realized, hmm, maybe she's nervous being around a bunch of strangers without her owner.

At the end of the day, I know it's not the dog's fault. She was a cute little bitch (seriously, I like saying that) but her owner was an ass.

-Signing off from Seattle




No comments: