Thursday, May 15, 2008

FW: Please do NOT forward

Diplomacy, spinning, passive aggressiveness, etc. All of the above are used heavily in the world of PR(both for internal team and external client/reporter communications), which at times make for ambiguous interpretations. However, there are certain obvious things that just don't need to be spelled out in black and white. I mean, alright, you may need this one tiny little ability called "common sense" but other than that...

Here's the context. A "Girl" (I am referring to her as such) on my team is not cutting it and every day my patience with her continues to wane. Sure, we all know I am blunt in general, but I even feel like I'm turning into just a mean bitch every time she does something, well, stupid. Now on the bright side, it is also fully clear to the higher ups that Girl is in need of a massive kick in the ass - so she is fully on the way to getting a "PIP" (personal improvement plan a.k.a. the proverbial wake-up call to shape it up or get shipped out).

Anyway, I was insanely slammed one day and Girl was having one of her "stupid" moments so I deferred her to a Director, who normally doesn't work very closely with the team, but she had offered to lend a "helping" hand. Unfortunately, I had laid out in e-mail how dissatisfied I was with the document Girl was working on and basically used the "see, this is what I mean" tone.

This rant may seem as though I'm about to rip Girl a new one, but this actually is targeted squarely on Director as she proceeds to forward my initial e-mail to Girl.

Um, hello! Raising my hand! But how freaking hard would it have been to click on "New," attached document and hit send. Did I really need to spell out that this chain is NOT okay to forward - especially to the person that is being discussed!

To be fair, the e-mail really wasn't that scathing and I honestly would have given the same feedback to Girl directly (as I do like to be blunt in my critiques). But still, it definitely was correspondence that should have stayed between Director and me.

Point of story. My bad if you do something wrong because you misinterpreted something I said for being too verbose, vague, etc. But, smack in the face to you for missing the red flag, blinking sign, elephant in the room, big fat zit on your nose and doing something just stupid.

-Signing off from San Francisco

No comments: