Wednesday, December 6, 2006

So tell me a litte bit about yourself (a.k.a Interviews Part 1)

I've been fortunate enough in my career to have the opportunity to participate in interviews from both sides of the table.

Okay seriously, I've stopped laughing now. Are you still with me?

An interview is basically speed dating without the romance. You tell me a little about yourself, I tell you a little about myself and then I decide whether or not I want to keep seeing you- usually under 30 minutes. As an interviewee, I've relaxed a bit in my interview style. Of course, that's experience talking. I've realized that I'm checking them out as much they're checking me out and honestly, that thought has gotten me a long way in being more prepared going into an interview.

You do your homework on Company A, you come in prepared with your list of questions and answers, and above all, you relax knowing that you've got experience and anecdotes to back you up.

But uh, what if it's your first interview out of college (or your first *real* suit and tie interview anyway)?

Well then, my newbie friend, you do your homework and use your common sense.

I repeat, homework and... COMMON SENSE.

Case in point: One guy I met with (no real names will be used in this blog- ever) put his personal blog on his resume, probably to showcase his writing skills. Good idea, in theory.

Unfortunately, his blog was mostly about his exploits overseas and how much he liked asian girls. Oh, and it was also about how he "used people" and how he was "slowly coming to realize how manipulative" he truly was.

I kid you not.

As an asian female, I had to wonder about a guy who would write every other entry on how he hung out with "hot" asian girls. (And uh, contrary to his belief, not all asian girls want to hook up with a white guy. Do I reallly need to say that??)

Poor judgment on his part. I figure that if anyone decides to put their personal blog on their resume, they should at least make damn sure it's relevant to the position they're applying for. There was nary a word on technology or public relations or current affairs. Though in his favor, he did have a lot of quotes up from The Simpsons.

Another interviewee shot himself in the foot when he said A) that he thought life wasn't about money and then pretty much said B) he applied for the job to make money.

Bzuh?

Also, canned answers can only get you so far in a conversation. Oh I'm sorry, I meant to write interview. Actually, an interview is a conversation so please engage me. Don't sit on the chair and repeat words or phrases that I've just said over and over again.

Thanks for proving to me you're listening intently to the sounds that are coming out of my mouth but if I wanted a parrot, I would have stolen one from the set of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Really though, I'm one of the easiest interviewers around (maybe too easy), in my opinion. I still remember a time when the only work experience I had to draw on was dealing with cranky babies and nitpicky parents. I empathize with people who come in for an entry-level position and I try my best to draw them out and just chat with me.

After all, everyone has to start somewhere.

Just, you know, put on your thinking caps when you come in to interview. And wear a real suit, please. A skinny tie paired with an emo-suit jacket do not count. I'm sorry, you must have this office confused with a Death Cab for Cutie concert- that's down the block more.

My next entry will be about the funniest interview question I've ever heard. Really.

-Signing off from Seattle

1 comment:

Jes said...

YOU ARE HILARIOUS. I can't believe someone actually did that. Do you think he realized after the fact? I would have been dying to email him, calling him out on it afterward. SNAP!