Friday, December 15, 2006

Tell me MORE about yourself (Part D'Oh)

Now I've heard some pretty funny things come from people I've interviewed in response to pretty mundane questions.

Like the guy who told me he had problems with criticism when I asked the simple question, "So what are some of your weaknesses?" (I think he went on to say that he tended to take things personally. Oh... really?)

But you know, I have to admit, I've heard some pretty funny interview questions. One in particular, asked by my lovely coworker *Charlie*, made me almost burst into laughter during an interview.

The setting- a small conference room. One seemingly sweet-natured, well-spoken interviewee is pitted against three heartless interviewers. Okay, I'm kidding, but the part about the room and the number of people is true.

So said interviewee had worked as an assistant on a project about WWII. Simple event planning stuff so the questions were pretty much related to process, etc.

Now Charlie is pretty well known for asking the tough questions- she's not someone you can bullshit during a meeting or she will call you on it. To your face. In front of everyone else. And she'll smile at you while doing so.

(She has one question about three light bulbs, three switches and a dark room that took me hours to figure out the answer to.)

So after the interviewee told us about the project, Charlie sat back with her patented smirk, tilted her head to the side and asked:

"So is World War Two your favorite moment in time?"

Followed up with: "What is your favorite moment in time?"

Now the question was pretty funny seeing how it had nothing to do with her experience but everything to do with... well, nothing. But that wasn't the funniest part. The funniest part was the look on the poor interviewee's face.

I swear, the blood drained out of her face and she blinked for a good 30 seconds before she stammered out, "Uh, um, sure, yeah? Maybe, sure... um yeah...sure, I like World War Two. Sure."

I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing out loud. Charlie pretty much destroyed the thin layer of confidence the interviewee had gained from a fairly successful meeting thus far by throwing her off. In retrospect, it was an astonishingly brilliant move- it's like asking, "Can you get back on your feet after I knock you down on the floor?" So good work, Charlie.

But I know if I had met with her during my interview, I might not be here hammering out this blog entry.

ETA: Apparently, Charlie's favorite moment in time is the turn of the century. Go figure. Mine is Happy Hour.

-Signing off from Seattle

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

damn. that girl sounds like someone i wouldn't wan to meet. ever.

Anonymous said...

ok that was mean; in a bad mood. i take it back! she sounds lovely.